Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Revolution



You say you want a revolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
all right, all right

You say you got a real solution
Well, you know
We'd all love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
Well, you know
We're doing what we can
But when you want money
for people with minds that hate
All I can tell is brother you have to wait
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
all right, all right
Ah

ah, ah, ah, ah, ah...

You say you'll change the constitution
Well, you know
We all want to change your head
You tell me it's the institution
Well, you know
You better free your mind instead
But if you go carrying pictures of chairman Mao
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
all right, all right
all right, all right, all right
all right, all right, all right

John Lennon 1968

3 comments:

  1. I'll leave the words to a much better speaker than I---John Coffey:

    Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world everyday. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim and Mr. Kim, in hindsight who would have guessed that the timing of your England trip would be so perfectly planned and free of tumult and violence.

    Class war is a dangerous thing and often its beginning simmerings are well hidden. I fear that's a possibility here at home as our rich get richer and our middle-class begins to disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon - Yes - it ended up being timed EXTREMELY well: between the royal wedding and the riots.

    I think that the conservatives find it very easy to blame things like riots and looting on 'riff raff' - i.e. people who are basically lawless and lazy. And, in a way, they are right. These folks use legitmate protest and frustration to spark the kinds of activities that are right up their alley. They turn peaceful protests into melees, purposeful marches into fiery destruction and civil disobedience into pointless rioting. And, in this way they play right into the hands of the powerful. The powerless are once again dismissed and the REAL issues are tabled and ignored.

    ReplyDelete