Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Who me? Grumpy?

From an email to my dear friend, Rachel. We were talking about being pushovers and much too easygoing for our own good. I have always said that I believe that animals and babies must have something similar to that hobo sign that rail riders used to put on 'easy mark' houses to let subsequent hobos in on a good thing. I obviously have that mark all over me, because I've never had an animal or a child take me seriously.

No, I will never get to curmudgeon, either. I just don't have it in me. I'm a softie. Though, I have noticed (I was thinking about it just this morning on my way to work), that the older I get, the more curmudgeonly I FEEL. I'm getting more and more intolerant of people doing things 'not right'. I'm not talking about great moral errors or even law breaking. I firmly believe that there is a 'right way' to do things and people who veer too far from that way just irritate me profoundly. Since I was small, I've been in love with etiquette books. I don't know why – my family has nice table manners and writes prompt thank you notes and all, but we certainly aren't the type of people who needed to know how to address the pope or the queen of England, but by age 10, I could do both those things (unfortunately, the opportunity never came up). So, I've always been a bit of a snob (NOT about money or position - one can't help those things, but you can help how you act) - my attitude being that there was no excuse for not doing things 'right' - if I looked it up, so could anyone else. Anyway, all that insufferability is just getting worse with age. I don't act on it and when one of my sweet girls in my office shows me another piercing or tattoo or tells me about an unfortunate social decision that they've made, I don't sniff and look down my nose at them. I just smile outwardly and 'carry on' inwardly.Here I am, warts and all. I really am insufferable, I know.

1 comment:

  1. OH, my Dearie!!!

    Not so, not so. The insufferable part, that is. You may think what you like about anyone, any time---the kindness of your nature will not allow you to speak of or otherwise act upon that impulse to shout or wound with words or issue the cut direct, unless their behavior is injurious or their words unjustly hurtful to others.

    And when it comes to a Last Stand, don't forget that I'm the friend who'll help you move, AND help you move a body.

    And in the words of the immortal Mrs. G, I'd even store it in my freezer til the coast is clear.

    I gotcha back, Sweetpea.

    ReplyDelete